This an original recipe. Patty said, “can you make us something with these muscles?” This is what I came up with!
Yields 4 Modest servings
I use a digital kitchen scale, and have found metric measure to be much easier to manage, so I use grams whenever I can. It’s more accurate and easier to expand a recipe for more servings!
8 oz Shelled Mussels (I use cooked, shelled ready to serve, but fresh is fine if you lightly steam then in advance.)
Chop all the following in a small food processor:
- 35 Grams Garlic
- 30 Grams Capers
- 15 Grams Provence Olives
- 12 Grams pure Dried Pineapple
- 3 Grams Orange Zest
- Some really good Olive Oil
- 125 ML Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA (Beer)
- IMPORTANT: Drink the rest of the IPA
- 1 Nip bottle Grand Marnier (50 ML) (Option 2: Buy a big bottle, pour 50 ml for the recipe and another 50 ml in a glass for you while you cook.)
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch (for thickening)
- 3 tbsp Asiago Cheese (fresh grated)
- 100 Grams Fresh Spinach
- 6 oz Dry Corkscrew Pasta (mixed veggie flavored is really good.) I use Organic Wheat Free Gluten Free Rice Vegetable Twists from Mrs. Leepers
Have all your ingredient ready in bowls like this.
- Start to Boil water for the pasta.
- Heat a large skillet over med low heat (3 on my electric range)while the water heats up.
- At the same time Simmer the IPA Beer and Grand Marnier over med low heat until reduced to 1/2 a cup. Once it’s reduced, thoroughly blend in the cornstarch and set it aside.
You’ll need about 8 minutes for the following so start your pasta in time for it to be ready when you finish the good stuff!
- Add the pasta to the boiling water
Start the next steps when there are 8 minutes left on the pasta.
- Add olive oil to a large pre heated fry pan, covering the bottom.
Note: Never preheat your cooking oil. An easy to remember rule is “hot pan cold oil!”
- Add Garlic, shake and swirl it out flat in the pan.
- When just starting to brown (about 2 minutes), Add dried pineapple and orange zest
- Saute mixture until the garlic is very light Brown. (about 2 more minutes if your heat is right.)
- Add the olives and spinach and toss the mixture until spinach is limp (about 2 to 3 minutes)
- Add the capers
- Stir in wine reduction and corn starch.
- Add the asiago cheese and stir thoroughly.
- Turn down the heat to low and simmer for about 2 minutes
- At 8 minutes toss in muscles
- Drain and rinse the pasta toss for a minute over the heat
- Pour into serving bowl.
- Top with fresh grated Asiago Cheese and serve.
Recommended Side dishes:
A side salad of Mesclun greens, some chopped almonds, sunflower seeds and a raspberry vinaigrette.
And a Hearty sourdough bread slice!
Make enough for leftovers because it’s even better after a night in the fridge!